Aunt Lola Mae's Cornflake Fried Chicken
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 6 cups cornflakes
- 4 cups Duke's Mayonnaise
- Vegetable shortening
- Place chicken in a 2-gallon freezer bag.
- Whisk together buttermilk and 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper.
- Pour over chicken and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, drain chicken and pat dry. Discard buttermilk mixture.
- Melt enough shortening to come 1/2 inch up the side of a 12″ cast iron skillet or heavy frying pan.
- Crush 6 cups cornflakes by squeezing in freezer bag. Add one tablespoon of cayenne pepper and shake to combine.
- Place 2 cups Duke’s Mayonnaise in a shallow bowl.
- Coat each piece of chicken with mayonnaise and shake each in cornflake mixture.
- 9. Place chicken skin side down in the pan. Cook chicken until golden brown on each side (approximately 10-12 minutes).
- 10. Drain on paper towel.
- 1Mix remaining 2 cups mayonnaise with remaining cayenne pepper and use as dipping sauce.