BLT Potato Salad
Starters & Snacks
Summer in a bowl. Two of the season’s best dishes combine to make one powerhouse side that’ll steal the spotlight from the hamburgers and hotdogs at your next cookout.
- 21/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 12 oz. thick-cut bacon slices (5 to 7 slices), diced
- 1 cup Duke’s Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (12 oz.), halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions (about 3)
- 6 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce (6 oz.)
- Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon of the salt in a large pot. Cover by 1 inch with cool water, then bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes are easily pierced with a knife, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside to cool completely. Meanwhile, cook the bacon.
- Place the bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook until the fat renders and the bacon is crisp, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve and slightly cool 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat (but do not let it solidify).
- Whisk the Duke’s Mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, pepper, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bacon fat together in a large bowl. Add the potatoes, 1/2 cup of the bacon, tomatoes, and scallions, and toss to combine.
- Just before serving, add the lettuce and toss again. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle with the remaining bacon.